'Game Of Thrones' A 'Mortal Kombat' Spinoff? Violent Mashup Sees The Mountain & The Viper Perform Fatalities [VIDEO]
Coupled with political wheeling and dealing, and a splash of T and A, battle and bloodshed is a regular and every day affair in "Game of Thrones." The few characters that are left have no qualms about killing people to get their way, even if it winds up being a bit messy, much like a famous fighting series Mortal Kombat, which turned fatalities and blood drenched finishing moves into a genre staple.
When you stop and think about it, there are a few more similarities between HBO's hottest show and the game that put NetherRealm studios and Ed Boon on the map. Both feature skirmishes between royal families, dragons, war, beastly warriors, ham fisted talk about "the realm," a hint of romance, deadly alliances...though Game of Thrones stands alone as far as incest is concerned.
YouTuber Octoplus Influid noticed the similarities as well, and took the time to toss in a nice collection of GoT footage, and set it to the beat of, what else? The Mortal Kombat techno song by The Immortals. He also decided to "recast" a number of "Game of Thrones" notables as Mortal Kombat characters he felt they best represented. Some of the choices are a bit odd, like Khal Drogo as Liu Kang, or Yara Greyjoy as Kitana, but most hit the nail on the head:
- Brienne of Tarth as Sonya Blade - Game of Thrones doesn't have too many lady knights that can kick ass like Sonya. The blonde hair is a happy coincidence.
- Jaime Lannister - The Kingslayer's shiny new hand made him a decent fit for the bionic metal arms of Jax.
- Daenerys Targaryen as Jade - another one I don't quite get. Daenerys royal lineage seems a bit more appropriate for Kitana, really.
- White Walker as Sub Zero - Perfect, just perfect. The pure embodiment of icy death in one world for the same in another.
- Oberyn Martell as Scorpion - Again, beautiful. The Dornish prince does love his spears, seeks vengeance for his family, and shares an affinity for wearing yellow.
- Hodor for Cyrax - An intimidating figure whose eyes go white from time to time. You work with what you have I suppose...
- Melisandre's Shadow Creature as Smoke - Noob Saibot also would've been an acceptable choice
- Cersei Lannister as Sheeva - Cersei certainly has all the rage of the four armed brawler, but I feel like Jade would've been more appropriate. The emerald ninja began as a blend of Mileena and Kitana, and Cersei has the whole royalty thing going for her like Kitana, and the same batshit sensibility as the cannibalistic Milleena.
- The Mountain (possibly the decapitate horse) as Motaro - if it's the horse, sure. Tails, hooves, and equally as forgettable as the MK3 sub-boss. But I think that Goro would've been a better representation for the Mountain, even if new cast member Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson looks like he would make the Shokan prince crap his red diaper.
You can watch the video below, just prepare for the techno to set up a 90's flashback.
Enjoy it? There's also a more fleshed out version, but it's a bit more spoiler heavy for those who aren't completely caught up with the series, so I'll just leave that here if you want to check it out.
There's a shocking moment with each new episode of Game of Thrones this season, and it's just gotten more interesting over the last few weeks. With Tyrion suspected by all of King's Landing for having a hand in Goffrey's death, the little Lanister saw a trial by combat as the only way he could get a fighting chance. And while his champion in Dornish Prince Oberyn Martell is deadly with a spear, what chance does he have when he squares off against the Mountain?
Leave your thought below, and try to limit the spoilers. Not everyone's read the books, y'know...