How Video Game consoles have grown in the past two decades
May 22, 2012 04:48 PM EDT | By Althea Benloss
Sign Up for GamenGuide's Newsletter and never miss out on our most popular stories.
I still remember my first console-a Nintendo NES (101 model). Games like Tetris, The Legend of Kage, Contra and Excitebike occupied my time. Years later, I look back and am still amazed at my patience dealing with those ROM cartridges. Video games have come a very long way in two decades. The consoles we hold dear in our homes experienced quite a journey of transformation, to get to the stage they are at today.
Like Us on Facebook
Let's dive right in to Memory Lane, shall we?
- - Turbo Technologies Inc. releases an 8-bit console called, TurboDuo
- - Atari Jaguar is released
- - The Commodore Amiga CD32 is introduced and is the first 32-bit CD-ROM based video game console released in western Europe, Australia, Canada, and Brazil
- - Sony releases Playstation
- - Sega Saturn is released
- - Casio Loopy, a 32-bit video game console, which was sold exclusively in Japan and targeted for female gamers
- - Nintendo 64 is released and is the most technologically advanced of the consoles in the fifth generation
- - Nintendo introduces the Game Boy Color
- - Sega introduces the Dreamcast, which only lasted about a year and a half
- - Playstation 2 is released
- - The Game Boy Advance is introduced
- - Microsoft releases its first video game console, the Xbox
- - Nintendo GameCube is released
- - Nintedo releases the Game Boy Advance SP and is the smallest video game platform
- - Nintendo DS is released on November 21, 2004 in North America, with the presence of two separate LCD screens and wireless capability, as just a few distinct features
- - Microsoft releases its second video game console, the Xbox 360
- - Sony presents the PlayStation Portable, also known as the PSP.
- - Nintendo releases the Wii, and is the first home console Nintendo has marked outside of Japan without the company name featured in its trademark
- Sony presents the PlayStation 3, or PS3.
- - Nintendo DSi is released and introduces new features like digital cameras and connectivity to an online store called the Nintendo Dsi Shop
- - The PSP Go is released on October 1, in North America
- - The Wii breaks record for best-selling console in a single month in the U.S
- - Kinect for Xbox is released and the Guinness World Record holds it as being the "fastest selling consumer electronics device"
- - Sony presents the PlayStation Move
- - PlayStation Vita, or PS Vita, is released
- - The Nintendo 3DS is released
- - Playstation 2 is the best-selling console of all-time, having sold over 150 million units as of January 31
- - The Wii U, by Nintendo, is an upcoming portable console and has been described as belonging to the eighth generation of video games.
© 2015 Game & Guide All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.