'MLB 14 The Show' News: PS4 Version Best Selling Release In Franchise History, Sony Reveals Most Popular Team [INFOGRAPHIC]
Sony were today able to announce that MLB 14: The Show is the fastest-selling title ever in the franchise, beating out last year's version for several records.
The PS4 version of the title, the company said, exceeded any marks from past titles in terms of most preorders, most day-one sales, and most week one sales. Overall, sales from week one are up almost 40 percent over last year's edition.
This is despite the PS4's relatively small install base compared to that of the PS3 last year, which makes the feat more impressive. It could be argued that a relative lack of other titles on the system is driving sales for one of the biggest exclusive releases yet, but I would not think that makes up for many millions of PS4s less than PS3s.
To celebrate the landmark, Sony posted some interesting statistics about player preferences in the game so far. The fun facts include the most-used team and park, and impressive numbers for at bats and pitching:
- The Orioles are the most popular team; Yankee Stadium is the most popular ballpark
- Almost 10 million games played so far
- Over 200,000 Road to The Show careers started
- There have been more than 5 million hits, 780,000 home runs and 500,000 stolen bases
- In the first week, there have been more than 7 million strikeouts, 330,000 complete games, and 100,000 shutouts
Sony also put the statistics into an amusing infographic, below, which lays out the data in an appropriate design. MLB 14: The Show is available now on PS4, PS3, and Vita.