Halo The Master Chief Collection Matchmaking Update Released: Newest Patch Finally Improves Online Experience, See Full Change List Here
Halo: The Master Chief Collection has been plagued by matchmaking issues since the game's launch, and the first wave of updates did little to solve the issues. The next patch is now live, however, and it seems to have finally improved the experience.
343 announced the patch's release last night after promising it would come at some point this week. The developers outlined the update's changes and theoretical fixes in the patch notes, and we can confirm they seem to have had a positive effect.
Matchmaking success has been higher for us overall, but the experience is not the same for everyone and the system is still far from perfect. Unlike last patch, though, there are noticeable differences and getting games has not been as difficult a task more often than not. Here are the official patch notes:
- Made improvements to the way the matchmaking system handles player matching
- Made improvements to the team selection process to improve team balancing
- Made an update to the party system to improve searching with parties (2+ players)
- Made further improvements to how matchmaking progress is communicated to the player
- Made an update to ensure that players do not enter a non-joinable state after searching for a match
- Made an update to ensure that the "Game Session" UI does not persist after leaving a matchmaking lobby
- Resolved a variety of incorrectly displayed matchmaking prompts
- Improved matchmaking roster presentation during team creation phase to remove roster flickering
- Corrected a "connecting to host" message that incorrectly displayed during the matchmaking searching phase
- Made an update to ensure that FFA players do not appear as if they are on the red team in the pre-game lobby
Party, Lobby, and Custom Games
- Made an update to ensure that custom game settings persist between matches
- Made an update to ensure that player's player emblems load correctly when returning to lobby
- Made an update to improve nameplate and emblem display
- Improved the display of emblems in the "Games Session Details" screen
- Made improvements to parties to ensure that parties are merged when the host joins another player and "brings party"
- Made an update to improve party stability after completing a matchmaking game
- Made an update to ensure that players are joinable after playing a matchmaking game
- Made a variety of updates to improve UI stability
- Resolved stability issues that occurred while viewing medals in "Player Details"
- Made an update to prevent stability issues caused by controller disconnects
-Made an update to improve post-game-carnage-report stability
- Made an update to address in-game stability for Halo 2
- Improved matchmaking stability while searching with parties (2+ players)
- Addressed a crash that could occur after searching in the Halo 2: Anniversary Rumble playlist
- Resolved a variety of miscellaneous stability issues to improve overall performance
- Made an update to ensure that the "Zealot" achievement is unlockable
"As mentioned earlier this week, we have additional updates on the way in an effort to further improve your experience with Halo: The Master Chief Collection. We thank you for your continued feedback, patience, and support."