CCP Games’ PS3-Exclusive Dust 514 Goes Live On May 14
CCP Games announced that its online free-to-play first-person-shooter Dust 514 will launch on May 14 on the the PlayStation 3 over the weekend at the company's FanFest which is held in Iceland. With this full-fledged launch, the long awaited companion game to EVE Online will end its open beta phase which began in January.
Shaun Norton, a PR representative for CCP, wrote on Twitter, "DUST 514 launches on 5.14.2013." The PlayStation 3 game operates in the same universe as the subscription-based PC space combat simulator Eve Online. The two games are connected allowing players of both titles to interact with one another.
"Reaching this point has required many years, hundreds of CCP employees, and the engagement of millions of players who contributed fantastic feedback during the beta process," Hilmar Veigar Pétursson, CEO of CCP said in a press release. "Now we start the real journey, which, decades from now, we will look back on with astonishment at all we accomplished. The EVE Universe will outlive us all."
Dust 514 was first announced at the Game Developers Conference (GDC) in 2009 and the title will be CCP Games' first new title since 2003's Eve Online.
Here is what you can expect from the game:
- Massive Persistent Universe: Wage war on the surfaces of far-flung planets with countless environmental combinations.
- Planetary Conquest: Marshal your forces in a continuous, ever-changing battle to conquer the worlds of New Eden and control their resources.
- Large-scale Warfare: Vie for control of unique sci-fi battlefields with up to 32 players in simultaneous combat.
- Endless Customization: Create custom mercenaries with lethal dropsuits, skills and weapons.
- Vehicles On-demand: Acquire, outfit and deploy heavily armed and armored vehicles, on land and in the skies.
- Social Sandbox: Build a formidable corporation with thousands of players as you seize the opportunities and bounties that come with galactic conflict.
- Connected Experience: For the first time ever, join forces in a cross-platform gaming experience with the immortal starship pilots of Eve Online to conquer New Eden, one skirmish at a time.