Marvel Heroes crosses 1.5 million players mark, new Asgard zone coming with patch 1.11
Sick of all this info from Comic Con yet? Me neither. While most everyone was distracted by Loki taking over Hall H and that Ultron will be the prime villain in the Avengers sequel, it was revealed that Marvel was also making strides in the gaming world as well. It was learned that the company's MMORPG Marvel Heroes now has over 1.5 million registered players, all in a little over a month's time, since the game's launch on June 4th.
"We are honored by this incredible one and a half million registered user milestone and thank everyone who has played Marvel Heroes," said David Brevik, CEO of Marvel Heroes developer Gazillion Entertainment. "As the Marvel Heroes community continues to grow and expand, we're working hard to make the game play experience even better and add new content to the game. This is just the beginning for Marvel Heroes. We're very excited about the future."
To accompany all the new players, Gazillion has announced that the game's first major update will hit the game later this month courtesy of Patch 1.11, and Thor and Loki's home realm of Asgard will be added to the game this Fall. We have the official patch notes below, noted in a recent press release:
* End Game Additions - New Player versus Player (PvP) and End Game modes will give players an alternate way to experience Marvel Heroes after they defeat Doctor Doom
* Eternity Splinters - A new currency that will offer an alternate method to earn playable Heroes through gameplay
* Ultimate Updates - A new tier of powerful "Ultimate" items than enhance Heroes' Ultimate Powers
* Human Torch - Players will be able to suit up as the Human Torch for the first time
The release also noted what players can expect from the new realm of Asgard:
* New Story Content - Set in the realm of Thor and Loki, players will be able to take on new missions and adventures across the world of Asgard
* New Areas - New PvE areas as well as new PvP modes and end-game content to challenge players
Players have their choice of 21 classic Marvel characters to choose from, including Spider-Man, Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine, Hulk and Captain America. Each hero can be customized through unique and extensive leveling systems, power trees, equipment and a robust crafting system. Players can choose to wear costumes from over 70 years of Marvel history, including costumes from Marvel's recent theatrical blockbusters.
At any time, players can swap between their favorite Marvel Super Heroes on the fly. Set across diverse locations from the Marvel Universe, like Xavier's Mansion, the Savage Land, and Manhattan to stop Dr. Doom from world destruction. Heroes offers fast-paced, action-packed game play, intense player-versus-player (PvP) combat, and PvE End Game.
The game's story comes from Marvel mastermind Brian Michael Bendis, who has written some of the company's most well received story arcs, like House of M, Secret Invasion, and several stories from the Ultimate universe.